martedì 1 febbraio 2011

Parting for Napoli

So tomorrow we embark on our first studio field trip.  I won't be bringing my laptop on this trip so I wanted to make sure I put a post up before I left, because I won't be back until Sunday and don't want to keep everyone waiting again.  Our bus departs at the impossibly early hour of 8 in the morning, our first destination is Baiae, where we will tour an archeological wonderland and eat lunch.  Then we depart for Paestum, site of many ancient Greek temples and some of the finest seafood in Italy (I hope).  We will then visit the ruins of Pompeii, Italy's sexiest ancient city (that's actually true) and end our travels in Napoli on Thursday and Friday.  Weather permitting, they may take us to Capri, and I really hope the weather permits because the alternative is to spend the day in museums.  On Friday we are released from class and from there Adam and I are going to Sorrento for the weekend, not sure what we'll do but we heard it was nice.  If scooter rental turns out to be affordable we'll probably do that.
In other news, Adam and I have self-appointed ourselves as the official wine critics of the apartment.  Our credentials are Adam's semester in a "Beer, Wine and Spirits" class and my being friends with Adam.  Actually I was inspired when, upon discovery that our bottle collection shelf was completely full, the apartment agreed to only keep unique bottles.  I decided to try as many types of wine as I could while spending as little on each bottle as possible.  That decision being made, it seemed like something that I had to include in my blog and I requested Adam's help to lend some legitimacy to my critiques.  Also, no one wants to drink alone.
So, this wine is a chianti, it cost 2.50 euro, and falls into the DOCG wine category.  Adam assures me that this means something, but not necessarily anything, from what I gathered.  In any event, this wine was a medium red with some fruity flavors, we guessed cherry, or some other dark berry.  It was definitely lacking in herbaceousness.  All in all, we concluded that it was a mediocre wine in every sense, smooothness, heaviness, brightness and economy.  Not a bad wine, but not good enough to warrant the expense when 1 euro bottles are available.  Ok, that's all for tonight, I'll get back to you on Sunday! or Monday!...one of those days.

Can you believe some people use these for books? 



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento